10/2: an unexpected offering

I was working in my office this morning, trying to focus on the day's reading but distracted by various (mental) vexations. And while I was in there a student came by and put a very pretty thank-you card in the mail-holder on my door. I had written a recommendation letter for her last weekend. I taught her in three classes last year (though I haven't seen her in person at all this year yet), and she was such a good student that I was more than glad to write her a letter of support. It is part of my job, so I'm not sure I deserve extra thanks for it--but it is always nice to be thanked, and a sweet card is never unwelcome. Although I would have enjoyed seeing her had my door been ajar, it was also a good thing today to find a sunshiny yellow envelope waiting for me when I opened my door. It helped to disperse my clouds for a bit.

No comments: