10/24: a smiley face

When we moved to Arkansas 8 years ago, we needed a second car and I bought Chris' mother's Camry from her because she wanted to get a convertible. I loved driving the Camry, and I loved that it used to belong to Chris' mother. That connection became especially welcome after she passed away in 2005. This summer the car gave out, and I was so sorry to see it go. My new Corolla is a good car, but it hardly feels like it's mine, and (obviously) it doesn't have the connection to Chris' mother. In the Camry she had put a smiley face sticker on the dashboard, something I would never have done. Yet, because she had put it there, I never took it off. Today I added a smiley face sticker to the dash on the Corolla, making it feel a little more like my car--and her car.

No comments: