12/1: more on mountain pies

So today's good thing is getting to share more about mountain pies--thanks for asking, Sam & Nikki! I only had them twice (that I remember) when I was young--both times, parents of my friends made them for us over an open fire and it seemed so special. The pies must have made a lasting impression on my mind because when we bought a house with a big fireplace last year, I almost immediately wanted to buy pie irons. They're like two tiny skillets, each at the end of a pole. You put a slice of bread in each and then add some filling. (For instance, tomato sauce and cheese is a typical filling, or fruit pie filling for dessert.) You then hook the irons together and clamp them shut, sealing the bread and the filling inside. The whole thing goes into the fire for about 2 minutes, and then when you take it out of the fire and open it up it's like a sealed toasted sandwich (but better). It's harder to describe than I would have thought! Here's a link to a page which has some pictures of the irons (we have the round ones): http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/pie_irons.htm

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah! Thanks for that explanation. Over here we call them jaffles. And you make them in a jaffle iron!

Wolfidy said...

That's pretty cool! I've never seen anything like that before. Makes me wish we had a fireplace again.

Yesterday's good thing for me: Hubby is not deploying for about an extra week! Still don't want him to go, but at least I get to keep him a bit longer.

Sandra D said...

I have one but mine is round - I always thought it was to cook a hamburger over the fire (though I've never used it). Will have to give it a try in the summer.