12/15: safe, sound, and warm

We had an ice storm today. Although the winter in Arkansas is milder than in Pennsylvania where I grew up, everyone here is less able to deal with the little winter we do get. Roads aren't built with winter conditions in mind, and towns don't have equipment and road crews to clear the roads or sprinkle them with salt when they get icy. I got to campus this morning without incident (my Greek students had their final exam at 8:30 a.m., so I was especially keen to get there), and coming home this evening was slower-going but mostly fine. That is, until I reached my steeply sloped driveway--I tried, but my little car couldn't make it up. So the Toyota is parked at the bottom of the hill tonight, and I'm cozy inside, glad for heat, light, warm food, and the company of Chris and the cats.

1 comment:

June Calender said...

I love the idea of this blog. Not that I believe everything has to be positive but I do believe that if you're of a mindset to notice the good things you're clearly a happier person -- in fact, you might also be a healthier person because good feelings are good for your immune system. Keep on the path you're on.