1/4: chris' apple cake

Years ago Chris found a recipe for an apple coffee-cake that is very tasty and keeps very well. We don't make it often (mostly because it's so large), but we made it this year for the holiday, and we used some Arkansas "black apples" (alas, they aren't really black) which a friend had given us. Truth be told, I'm usually skeptical of baked goods that don't somehow involve chocolate, but this coffee-cake is wonderful. Over the past week and a half, we've had a piece of it almost every morning for breakfast, and today we finished it. The timing is spot-on, since tomorrow the holiday is officially "over": I have to start writing syllabuses for the new semester, and Chris heads off to Nebraska for his teaching stint at a tribal college.

2 comments:

gwenlyn said...

Will you share the recipe?

RR said...

Hello, gwenlyn! When I was first writing this post, I thought about including the recipe, but then I decided not to because I think I'd be infringing on copyright. I tried to find the recipe online so I could include a link. No luck. But it's the Apple Maple Cake in The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook, in case you're ever browsing through recipe books in the bookstore and want to take a peek....