9/4: beginning to think

Next year I'm going to be teaching an Introduction to Gender Studies course for the first time. In my Classics courses ancient views of gender come up for discussion, but teaching a whole course on gender in the present day will be new for me. I'm both excited and scared. Today I started thinking concretely about how to set up the course, about how to frame the whole enterprise of studying gender from a perspective that doesn't take scientific pronouncements about sex and gender as definitively truthful. Chris is teaching the Introduction to Gender Studies course this year, and it was fun to talk with him about it over dinner today. We often talk about our work with one another, but this is the first time that our teaching will really overlap.

2 comments:

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

I wouldn't know where to start - it's a great thing that they chose you instead of me!