10/13: glad for edward lear

To be honest, I did not have a good day today. But here's something that is good: Edward Lear did have a good day on this day in 1859. I know because I've been reading one of Lear's diary entries per day. He seemed to be going through a bad patch in recent entries, and when I just read today's entry, my heart honestly leapt in relief and happiness for him. I know it seems silly, given that I'm reading diary entries from a century and a half ago. But he had been working so hard and feeling so "unhinged" (his word) that I have been feeling sad for him. October 13, 1859 wasn't a perfect day for Lear (he still had some uncertainties about his painting), but his tone just seemed so much lighter than as of late. As I end a difficult day myself, I am really so very glad that today in 1859 wasn't as difficult for Lear. I'm enjoying thinking about him enjoying his day. And I'm really relieved that he got a break; he definitely deserved it. Even a century and a half later I can say that it's a good thing.

No comments: