10/25: bacteria, light, and latin

A colleague at work has been mysteriously ill for months. Tests came up with nothing, and he kept getting worse. I found out today that finally a test has found something: bacteria in his blood-stream. Although (obviously) that's not a great situation, it's so good that something's been identified. Progress can be made.

The light today has been incredible, making the sky beautifully blue and the trees luminously yellow, orange, red, and green.

I've been sitting in front of our big windows, working on Latin. I'm doing a presentation later this week on the story of Narcissus and Echo from Ovid's Metamorphoses, and I'm trying to pull a lot of it together today so I won't be overloaded mid-week. It's been fun to spend some time with Ovid's Latin as well as to look at how various English translators have tried to carry some of Ovid's verbal artistry over into English.

No comments: