4/15: a good poetry day

Another Thursday of chalking poetry on the sidewalk around the fountain on campus. Today's session made me particularly happy. For one thing, some of the poetry from last week's chalking was still there, so with today's additions, there's a lot of poetry for people to read in passing. Chris added an Emily Dickinson poem and made it graphically interesting with different colors of chalk and sizes of letters etc. A German professor wrote down three German poems, and then he enthused with me about Botticelli because the Amy Lowell poem I had chalked mentioned Botticelli's Venus. Three students added poems, and one of them used a Spanish poem. My co-host for these sessions chalked a Mary Oliver poem that I had read before, so it felt like seeing a friend. And I also put down some snippets from Pablo Neruda's Book of Questions, which is just so fun (and which made me think of my sister, since she gave me the book for my birthday one year). Then, at the end of the day, I got an email from a student who just wanted to say that she enjoyed reading the poems so much. Hurray, hurray, hurray.

No comments: