6/11: finished

I finished reading two books in the past 24 hours. The first was Cold in Summer--a young adult novel by Tracy Barrett, whose Anna of Byzantium I read and enjoyed last fall. I got so into the plot of Cold in Summer last night that I stayed up late to finish it. Barrett has a very nice touch. She writes what I call quiet page-turners. It sounds like an oxymoron, but in her case it's completely apt.

I also finished Martial: A Social Guide by Art Spisak. This was the first of a number books I hope to read this month about Martial's poetry, in an effort to start to prepare for my Martial course in the fall. Spisak's book provided a nice and helpful on-ramp for thinking about Martial's poetry.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Do you keep a reading list? Every January 1st I make the same resolution - read 50 books in the new year. Some years I even exceed, but more often fall short. (sigh)

RR said...

Hello, Barbara--Yes, I do keep a running list of books I've read. I started keeping a list in the mid-80s, when my parents first suggested that it might be a nice thing to do; how did they know that recording books in my "book book" would be one of the few habits to last through all these years? A colleague at work also turned me on to goodreads.com--I have an account there and I usually post a few thoughts when I finish a book. Do you have a goodreads account by any chance?

Barbara said...

Yes, actually I do, although I admit to not being very regular about adding to it.

RR said...

Hello, Barbara--I'm at
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1529927
on goodreads, in case you're interested!