7/2: a list

Some good things from today:

- We've been taking care of a stray puppy, but we can't keep him. Yesterday was a little bleak lead-wise, but today we've talked to a number of possible prospects for placing him in a good way. (And he's a sweetie (sweety?), so he's fun company while he's here.)

- We met a former student for lunch and learned that he defended his doctoral dissertation last month. He's the first student whom I really mentored as an undergraduate who's finished his PhD. I feel a little old, but it's a good milestone.

- At lunch we ran into another former student who happened to be in town, so we met up with him later this afternoon for coffee. Great to touch base with him.

- I'm not good at buying new clothes, but I recently went through a bunch of piled-up catalogs and ordered some things for myself. Today some shirts arrived, and they're really nice. Only one needs to be sent back.

- Earlier this week I made a blueberry brownie recipe from the Veganomicon. I had one with dinner this evening, and they seem to be getting better as the days go by.

- I hadn't been out on the lake in a week, and I was really missing it, so I planned to head out around 7 p.m. I assumed that Chris wouldn't join me since he's been feeling pretty exhausted lately. But he decided to come, and the water and clouds were so wonderful that I'm glad he didn't miss them.

- And my sister posted a lovely Merwin poem in today's comments; what a delight!

4 comments:

Yogastar said...

Hi Bekra!
I am from postcrossing too... today i registered a card from you, browsed to your account and opened your gallery...
After a few postcard i saw that one from Washington, sent by "thejamesgang". i got a few weeks ago the same one from "geoffvbb" and i really had to smile... it seems to be a popular theme from Washington? If i ever visit Washington, i will take a picture from there! And now i go sleeping and i will dream about Washington! Happy postcrossing and thanks for your wonderful card (actually the first good thing from the day)
Yogastar from Germany

RR said...

Hello, Yogastar, and thanks for coming by and posting! I'm really glad if my postcard could be a good thing in your day.

Rachel Evans said...

Saw this poem from our new US poet laureate, and thought of you...

TERM

At the last minute a word is waiting
not heard that way before and not to be
repeated or ever be remembered
one that always had been a household word
used in speaking of the ordinary
everyday recurrences of living
not newly chosen or long considered
or a matter for comment afterward
who would ever have thought it was the one
saying itself from the beginning through
all its uses and circumstances to
utter at last that meaning of its own
for which it had long been the only word
though it seems now that any word would do

W.S. Merwin

Online Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/poetry/antholog/merwin/term.htm

love,
Rachel

RR said...

Thanks, dear Rach!