8/21: uncertainty and silence

One odd thing about making the transition from the summer to the school year is getting used to talking again. A number of us at school were remarking on this, as our voices started getting scratchy on Thursday: during the summer, we just don't talk that much, and our throats weren't used to a full day of vocalizing. Today was a respite, at home with Chris and the cats. Nothing need be said unless it wanted saying.

I'm also feeling a bit vaguey and adrift. I think it's because I'm in between times, the semester not really underway, but the summer rhythm gone as well. Sometimes this kind of uncertainty makes me nutty and sad and nervous, but today I'm thinking that it's okay (and I'm okay amidst it all). Then I checked out Laura Gibbs' Latin blog, and one of her proverbs for today is incertus animus dimidium est sapientiae ("an uncertain spirit/mind is half of wisdom"). I'm making no claims about my own wisdom, but at least it was nice to have some solace about the usefulness of uncertainty.

No comments: