8/24: beginning and ending

Classes started today, and I taught Ancient Greek and Gender Studies. In both classes we started right in. Instead of talking through the syllabus and other bureaucratic things I launched into lessons, activities, and discussions. It felt good to be doing.

At the track this evening and then on the drive home I finished listening to The Secret Garden. It was a pleasure to listen to--sometimes wise, sometimes beautiful, sometimes fun--even if, at the very end, it shifted to a focus on male characters, a shift which I hadn't remembered and found a little disappointing. Still, given my overall experiences with The Secret Garden and The Making of a Marchioness, I'm a fledgling Frances Hodgson Burnett fan, and I'm looking forward to trying other books she's written.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

The Secret Garden and Wind in the Willows are Steve's most favorite "children's" books... I have to stick with Heidi and Little Men.

RR said...

I guess I'm in-between you and Steve: I love Heidi & The Secret Garden!