8/25: in one piece

Today was a trying day. I knew that I had to go to Little Rock in the morning for 2 doctor appointments, and even factoring in a generous cushion of time, I figured I'd be home by noon or shortly thereafter. I also left the house almost absurdly early to be sure to get to my first appointment on time. And then the world happened: backed-up traffic on the freeway meant that a 30-minute drive took almost 2 hours. And then my first doctor appointment (including waiting time) took over 3 hours. And the second (again, with waiting time) also took over 3 hours. All told, the round-trip plus doctor appointments took 9 hours. Though at times I managed to be upbeat (or at least stoical) about these timing set-backs, at other times I was not. I'm a little disappointed in/at myself.

But here's the good thing. It's over, and I'm here. I saw the doctors, and I'm back. Other people today weren't so lucky: it turns out that the freeway was backed up because of a multi-car accident that included one fatality. It's good to get perspective.

No comments: