8/29: new (old) company

Today it's been threatening to rain, and that's a good thing (everything could really use it). It means, though, that kayaking isn't a great idea, so I went to the indoor track instead. Since I finished The Secret Garden while walking a few days ago, it was time to start listening to a new novel, and I chose Austen's Persuasion. I'm sticking with the idea of listening to books I've already read (it's too easy for me to lose details in the thread otherwise), and this is one of the Austens I don't know particularly well, so I thought I'd improve my acquaintance. Now I have a new voice to keep me occupied during walks in the upcoming days and weeks. The reader's voice is sharp, a nice reminder that Austen often has an edge.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I just finished my 3rd reading of Marquez' A TALE OF A SHIPWRECKED SAILOR, a true story from back in his newspaper reporting days. I really like survival tales and this one is riveting.

My current classic reread is THE SCARLET LETTER. I don't know why that was on the required reading list in high school, it was so entirely over my head back then!

RR said...

I hear you. I don't think we should have The Scarlet Letter or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as regular reading in high school. They're such radical texts in ways, and I think we're inclined to overlook their radicalness and their weirdness when they're presented as part of a "standard" curriculum, just at a time when students are likely to distrust anything presented as a traditional standard. Better to discover them later as they truly are!