8/8: surrounding sounds

I've gotten so used to living here that I forget how special some things are. This summer, visiting family--first Chris' father and his father's girlfriend, then my brother--reminded me of the incredibly rich aural landscape around us, especially at night. As I write, the frogs and the cicadas are filling the evening air with layers of tingling sounds. I grew up in the countryside, but the consistency and intensity of the night-time sounds here are like nothing I've experienced anywhere else.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I hear this one! We live in town, but there is an empty field behind us and trees everywhere. I often just sit and listen to all the life - birds and frogs, mostly - in the evening. And then we contribute the sounds of one cat, 3 dogs and 6 chickens plus our own voices and it becomes downright boisterous!

RR said...

I do like it when human noise is not the dominant strain, and only one note among many....