5/2: good moments

There were scattered good moments in a hectic day:

- A quick exchange with a colleague about one of his dear dogs.

- A student telling me that she didn't think she was a good student with good grades this semester, but that she also managed to learn a lot. I know this sounds paradoxical, but it was a really fair assessment of her situation and took clear-headedness on her part to put it that way.

- Another student describing our seminar class as a "think tank."

- My Homer independent study student saying that in the course of the semester he came to believe that Homer uses poetry in the Iliad as a means for doing critical thinking about issues which we now put under the umbrella of social/political philosophy. (Yes. This is something I also believe, and I don't think he now believes it just because I do. I think he sees it himself.)

No comments: