5/8: the first step

The spring semester is always more chaotic than the fall one, and this year especially I've let my share of the housework go by the wayside until the school year is over. Although it's not over yet, I thought that I'd make a small step in the direction of domestic order today: I de-labelled all our glass that had been piling up. The recycling station won't take glass if labels are on it, and the counter in our laundry room had become completely taken over with glass bottles waiting for my attention. Now all the bare glass is piled in a box ready to take away. This may seem like an odd "good thing," but it did feel good to make a bid for getting house jobs done.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

You make me feel very privileged. Several years ago our entire county went to single stream recycling. We never, ever had to de-label on anything, but we used to have to separate paper from glass from plastic for curb-side pickup. These days we don't even do that. There is a list, a very long list, of recyclables and everything goes into one enormous bin. The processing people do the culling at the recycling plant (some self-sorts because of weight, I think I read). At any rate, as easy as it is -- and our family manages to fill an entire bin every single week -- I'm always chagrined by the folks who won't make the effort. I think we're under a state mandate to recycle 70% by I forget which year. 'Tis easy!

RR said...

Oh, you are lucky, Barbara! Once we moved outside the city limits, we lost curb-side pick-up & now we have to take everything to the recycling station ourselves. Not that we mind terribly--but we do miss the convenience and haven't yet learned how to store the recyclables in a tidy way between trips.