6/3: readers

As everyday life gets seemingly more & more complicated, more & more full-to-bursting, more & more fragmented, more & more distracting, I'm glad that people continue to read books. I know reading isn't the magic antidote to the whirlwind of the world, but it does seem to offset the roar of the whirlwind just a bit. Today I had some nice contact with fellow readers: a friend wrote to thank me for the children's books that I sent to her to share with her baby; a student wrote to thank me for a book recommendation; and a bunch of new students emailed me to sign up for some voluntary book groups which Chris and I run at our school. I'm grateful to cross paths with such enthusiastic readers, who also want to share their excitement about reading.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I agree. It's one think to chill in front of the television, but so much more active to chill in front of a book.

RR said...

Hear, hear! I just started a new book: Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks, and I have a good feeling about it. I'm glad that I have an airplane ride tomorrow to sink into it.