8/19: summer tasks done

At the beginning of the summer I had a list of some professional things that I wanted to do before classes started again. Today I finished the last one (sending an article off for consideration). I find the submission process stressful, so I've procrastinated until basically the last possible moment. And, I'll admit, I was largely motivated today by the idea of how disappointed with myself I'd be if I didn't manage to do it before summer's end. But I re-read the article one more time, tinkered with some wording and formatting, wrote the requested summary--and drank a celebratory beer as I readied my paper to be sent.

(Hats off to my friend Sandy, who manages to send her work off much more regularly and seemingly with much less angst.)

3 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ah, thanks, Rebbeca. I think the fact that poems are so small and we have to send so many out in a group helps create a thicker skin. Lots of practice with accepting rejection. :).

RR said...

Hi, Sandy. I wish my field allowed simultaneous submissions like poetry journals do. We're only allowed to submit to one place at a time, making it a very lengthy process if the first place takes a year or two to make up its mind (which isn't uncommon).

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ugh...a year or two...ugh! Then, I think rejection would sting the more fiercely! Good luck!