9/13: emptying the jar

Last year the jar rubber-stamp which Barbara bought and wrote about on her blog caught my eye. She suggested one way she might use the stamp to prompt reflection, and that resonated with me. I ordered a similar stamp online, and I stamped an open jar on a number of pages in a sketchbook. Whenever I feel overly full (often of worries, it's true, but also sometimes of ideas and images), I open the sketchbook and spill my thoughts out of the jar and onto the page.

Today I felt frazzled after work and I wanted to clear my mind before doing my evening preparation for tomorrow's teaching, so I turned to one of the jar pages. And as I wrote I realized that there were only three things really frazzling me. It was nice to get them out, and it was additionally nice to discover that the number was so finite.

Thanks, Barbara, for writing about the stamp! I think my jar-book is going to be with me for some time.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Rebecca -- I'd forgotten all about that! It must be time to recycle the activity for a new group of girls in my Juvenile Hall group. - Barbara

Sandy Longhorn said...

That is a great idea!!!! Thanks for sharing, as I cold use a jar right about now.

RR said...

I've found it such an easy but liberating technique, almost magically efficacious. I think I need to do a reverse exercise with the jar sometime and write inside the jar things that I want to store up/treasure.