10/17: advice from 1994

One of my professors in graduate school supervised a group of us who were teaching Latin in the 1994-1995 academic year. She said that we should figure out a way to grade Latin translations that would be systematic, consistent, and straightforward from the get-go. This might have seemed like obvious advice, but it wasn't: plenty of Classics professors don't have a particularly objective way to grade translations. I started developing my own system that year, and I've been using it ever since. This evening a round of grading went very quickly because of it, so I'm feeling especially grateful for that old advice.

2 comments:

Meri M. said...

... But I guess it takes years of experience in teaching & grading to actually start developing your own system...?

RR said...

I think I've fine-tuned it over the years, but what I started with has mostly stayed intact, which seems almost unbelievable, given how much other things I do have changed between 1994 and now!