10/27: gift of christmas past

As one of my presents for the holidays in 1989 my parents gave me a facsimile edition of the Très Riches Heures of the Duke of Berry. It's travelled with me all over: from Pennsylvania to upstate New York, then to California and back to upstate New York before coming to Arkansas. It's a lovely book and a steady, friendly presence on our bookshelves. I have some good memories of paging through it with a friend at college and also with Chris over the years. Today it came in handy for class. Thanks, parents.

3 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

I've been remiss in thanking you for the moon you sent. It is lovely and haunting and perfect. Your gifts are always treasured. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Today my son received his new cell phone from the University. So I get to suspend his current phone from our family account. Alas, I can't cancel his family phone yet because the phone company charges a large fee to cancel before the end of a contract but I pay less each month by suspending his account until the contract ends. Sheesh...all these games they make you play. Anyway, I had a laugh because his new phone, of course, is in the area code of the University and he now has to let his select friends know what his new phone number is. He will have to give them a little lecture about not giving his new phone number out. The University does this to keep the media at bay. He had to take a class this last summer on how to talk with them. What's allowed or not allowed to say. It's a new world for him. I can't hardly imagine what his life is going to be like for the next few years. It's a good day.

RR said...

You're welcome, Sandy!

And, anonymous poster, good luck to your son as he gets used to new university protocols.