8/28: adventure paddling

I'm a flat-water kayaker--for me, being out on the lake is more like stretch-and-tone than cardio.  But every now and then I find myself amid a stiff wind, and that's a different story.

Tonight I felt like I had to go kayaking.  How many more week-nights will there be this year that are clear-skyed and warm with no absolutely pressing homework for me to do?  One of my neighbors and his friend good-naturedly laughed at me as I wheeled my boat down to the dock; they knew there were little white-caps on the water.  Heading out was fun, a bit like riding a merry-go-round horse that rises and falls very smoothly.  I paddled, but I wouldn't have needed to.  Heading back was a challenge.  I'll admit that for about a minute I wondered if I could make headway against the wind and waves.  "Oh no!  Am I going to have to pull off the water and call someone to come get me?"  But I kept at it and made it, smiling as the air blew in my face and the water crashed into my boat.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I am so impressed, truly! If i walk around the block I just did the world a favor!!

RR said...

I was proud that I handled myself and the kayak competently--but I also learned the lesson that there really could be times when I wouldn't be able to fight the wind!