9/29: country roads

I was at odds and ends this afternoon--largely through exhaustion + allergies, I think, though I didn't recognize it at the time.  Chris suggested that we get an ice cream, and then we drove east and north into the countryside.  Mostly I watched dozily, but we doubled back so I could photograph the Pegasus.


We also doubled back to look at someone's side-yard filled with carved wooden bears standing upright.  There were maybe two dozen of them--ranging from 4 to 6 feet--scattered along a hillside.  I didn't take a picture because it didn't seem right to photograph someone's yard, but it was a striking sight.

6 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ice cream, country drive, and a Pegasus. Perfection. Hope you have returned to an even keel.

RR said...

It was a great mix. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't been at sixes & sevens with myself, but I guess I especially needed it just because I was at sixes & sevens with myself.

RR said...

And here's Nathaniel Hawthorne on the importance of having Pegasus on your side: "Nobody should ever try to fight an earth-born Chimæra, unless he* can first get upon the back of an aerial steed." Indeed.

*or she!

Sandy Longhorn said...

earth-born Chimaera vs. aerial steed...indeed...now where does one acquire such an animal? Diagon Alley?

RR said...

Hawthorne says that you have to sit by a mountain spring without losing faith and eventually the Pegasus will come--maybe that's how I should spend my next sabbatical?

Sandy Longhorn said...

I will be one mtn over!