12/5: flora, fauna, and merry weather

One of the very first things I saw this morning was a deer eating privet at the edge of our yard.  As I was walking from the house to my car a little while later, I paused by our baby camellia bush, which has more blooms than you'd expect on a small plant.  I heard the buzz of honeybees, so I looked closely, and there they were:  some bees from our hives, checking out the flowers.

In the late afternoon Chris had to run an errand south of Little Rock (about 45 miles away), and I decided to go with him to get out of my home-to-school/school-to-home routine.  I enjoyed a chance to see a broader horizon, and I was grateful for the utterly benign light on the rice fields during our return trip:


I had gotten a little frustrated at school this afternoon (which is understandable but unfortunate at this stressful time of year), so a change in perspective was welcome.

5 comments:

Chuck West said...

This made me smile.

Chuck West said...

Today I drafted a kid to help me with some computer wiring problems I was having. I needed the help, but I also knew that it would make the kid feel good to help me. I let him know I appreciated the help and valued his knowledge. I love the kids. I don't say that enough.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Beautiful! That's my kind of horizon. I miss seeing it during my day to day life in LR. Thanks!

Ludger said...

Hi Rebecca,
again, the photo is like a painting - in a way, you paint with your camera. And with words, creating vivid images through what you write in your blog.
I know that feeling of looking at the beautuiful shades of the sky - it sweeps the little murky things that have accululated in your soul, just away.
Have a nice day, and wide horizons!

RR said...

Hi, Chuck, and thanks for visiting my blog plus posting a good thing of your own!

And Sandy, I wish these kinds of horizons were built into my daily life more, too. When I was in high school back in Pennsylvania, our school-bus took a very long route through the countryside picking up/dropping off students, and I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was to get to spend part of every afternoon looking out a window as we moved through a landscape of mostly farm fields.

And finally, Ludger, thanks for your kinds words about my photo. Yes indeed, looking at the sky is like a deep breath and clean sweep. Here's wishing you wide horizons, too!