1/22: private and shared

I was driving to school a little later than usual--around 9 a.m. rather than 8--so the sun was a little higher in the sky.  A small flock of birds rose into flight by the side of the road; as they got higher in the air, the sun shining through their flapping wings made them seem like flashing bits of light.

At the end of the work-day one of my colleagues mentioned to me that she'd been reading and thinking about a particular article for over 15 years now; she was excited that she feels like she finally really understands it.  I think we (as a culture) don't talk enough about reading in this kind of way--how some texts are friends you live with and get to know better and better over the years.  I was happy that my colleague shared that moment of reflection and sheer, honest celebration with me.

2 comments:

Meri M. said...

...I got your card today - it took it weeks to get here - so beautiful! Thank you! It is here in my cubicle now, just like the sunny one from last year. Wishing you lots of color in 2013, also!

RR said...

Wow, it took a long time to reach you, but I'm glad it finally made it, Meri! I do hope you enjoy the colors (both in the card & in the world).