1/9: positives in negatives

It isn't cold enough for the rain that's been coming down almost all day to turn into ice.  I know that an ice storm is probably in the cards for sometime this winter, but I'm grateful it wasn't today.  So one of today's good things:  not ice.

I was feeling a bit out of sorts this evening and didn't want to turn in until I had turned my mood around.  So I took a big bag of domino-like blocks we had gotten recently and made a long domino run with them.  It cheered me, and Chris helped as I reset the blocks for a second run.  Emma the Cat was clearly interested, and I helped him start it off when we were ready for the blocks to fall.  He seemed delighted.  In a way, it's a reverse of yesterday, when he taught me the rules of his game.

As I was setting up the blocks, I wondered:  why does knocking something down cause such pleasure (positive through a negative)?  In "real life," I would be dismayed (or worse) to take pains at an arrangement and have it all undone in a matter of seconds.  Of course, that could be where the pleasure resides, in the fact that it's the reverse of real life.  Or maybe I shouldn't think of it as a negative (destructive) act; maybe orchestrating a fall is an act of positive construction?  I don't want to laden the activity with too much analysis; the smile it induced was enough.  I am glad that I can now head to bed with my spirits a little lifted.

No comments: