2/6: relief

I had blood tests today which (with luck) will reveal something about my pain situation, but in the meanwhile the doctor gave me a prescription which will at least ease the symptoms if not address the ultimate cause.  I took my first dose this morning and I can already feel it working.  It's wonderful not to be wincing at every step and not to be planning how to get things accomplished with the least movement possible.  Walking might be able to be a pleasure again?  (I know that this is a "good thing" that's closely related to a not-so-good thing, but sometimes that's how it goes.)

Another relief:  today we had a book/discussion group meeting about Tacitus' Agricola.  It's not my usual choice of text for a book group, but we have a speaker coming to campus next week to talk about it, and I thought it would be nice for some people to have a chance to read and discuss it in advance.  I love the Agricola, but it's not an easy text, and it's not a novel.  I was worried that people wouldn't come, or wouldn't talk, or wouldn't enjoy it.  But it all went very well--good thoughts and good spirits both.  Chris and I even continued the conversation about the book during our dinner.

No comments: