4/25: four

Recently I've had to have blood taken for various medical tests, and it hasn't been easy for the nurses to get the blood.  They've had to poke around under my skin a lot.  Sometimes that's made me faint, and sometimes the nurses have told me to come back another day so they could try again.  Today's visit went quickly:  the nurse had a careful plan for getting the blood out of me and it worked without a hitch.

This afternoon I had my last committee meeting of the year!  It wasn't completely smooth sailing since I had to talk about unpleasant issues, but I didn't shy away from them.  I can end my year of service feeling that I represented the faculty who elected me to the best of my ability.  That was my goal going in--not to be cowed and not to have regrets--and I stuck to it.

A beautiful early-evening ride through the countryside with Chris:  the setting sun on be-flowered fields and pauses to smell wisteria and watch some goats.

Postcards from three amazing postal friends!

2 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Well, sheesh, Rebecca, I'm so sorry about that difficult blood gathering. It's only happened a few times with me and it is so icky. Super glad this nurse got the job done so well.

Kudos on fulfilling your goal on the committee. You are a true model for me. I admire your thoughtfulness and your willingness to face difficult subjects head on.

Finally, I hope the blood tests yield happy results or at least a good treatment plan so that the pain and discomfort bears fruit.

RR said...

Thanks, Sandy. It felt odd to be so happy about the blood-taking on Thursday, but it really was such a relief.

Thanks, too, for your kind words about my committee work. I'm not entirely at peace with the consequences of my being outspoken, but I'm more at peace with them than with the regrets I'd have if I hadn't been.