5/13: first monday of summer

The semester is over, so no getting up for school today!  Instead, we got up to clean.  And clean.  And then clean some more.  And there's still much, much more cleaning to be done.  It was good to get a start on it.

While I cleaned, I finished listening to Swallows and Amazons, and it is one of the best children's books I know.  I feel a little odd writing that because when I started to read it as a child I didn't like it enough to finish it--so maybe in some real way it's not one of the best children's books I know.  But listening to it as an adult and thinking about it in the context of children's literature in general, I have to say that I loved it.  I had one of those moments of crying at the end--not because it was sad but because it was ending and I didn't want to let go.  (There are sequels, but I don't know if I'll read them; it would be so frustrating and sad if Titty doesn't stay wonderful.)

We cooked our dinner tonight.  A real meal, at home and not cobbled-together.

The air outside today was full of the scent of roses and honeysuckle.

No comments: