5/21: another winner

It's no secret that I enjoy the books Persephone publishes, and today I finished another one of their volumes:  The Hopkins Manuscript by R. C. Sherriff.  It's a bit different from other Persephone titles.  In general, Persephone's books tend to be domestic, relatively realistic, often focused on female characters, and often written by women.  The Hopkins Manuscript doesn't really have any of those characteristics (though maybe it would count as "domestic" in some sense), and as a man's first-person account of the moon crashing into the earth it might seem far afield from Persephone's usual territory.  Yet I see how its sensibility is in keeping with Persephone's other offerings.  And I loved it.  It was emotionally difficult to read--a satire too true--but it was perfectly done.

2 comments:

Meri M. said...

... when I walk or even hike I look down mostly, I look down instead of looking ahead or up. Today my looking down while walking back to the office was worth it: there was a tiny ladybird by the side of the road and I didn't miss it...

RR said...

Perfect! (I had a similar ladybird sighting myself last week, and it made me smile so much.)