5/8: baby groundhogs

On my way back from the lake this morning, there were two baby groundhogs at the top of a little hill.  I've seen adult groundhogs at the bottom of the hill in the past, but I was still surprised to see such young ones out and about in the world.  I was also worried since there is a road very nearby and the babies didn't seem to know what's what.  I shooed them away from the road and down the hill, hopefully back to home and safety.  (One of them took quite a bit of shooing/coaxing, giving me a chance to take a picture.)

3 comments:

Una said...

oooh, that's such a lovely picture. You're so lucky to live so close to nature. I just moved to a city to go to university and I haven't seen a squirrel or a hedgehog in months.
But there are pigeons sitting in front of my window. Sometimes I feel like they are watching me :)

RR said...

Hi, Una--Thanks for your note. I did feel so lucky to see the little groundhogs in action. Birds in cities end up being such an important link to nature, yes?

Una said...

Yes, they are. Especially their songs in the morning before all the noise of the cars.