9/9: facebook friends

I know lots of people are ambivalent about Facebook.  I don't do much there--post some pictures, click "like" on some friends' posts, send people birthday wishes and quick messages.  Still, I am grateful for the ability to do those things.  And it's wild to have people from such different parts of my life all seeing the same picture I took and commenting on it.  Like this one, which I posted last night:


Today I was too tired to end my day with a full-blown piece of correspondence, but Facebook made it easy for me to wish a happy birthday to someone I went to Pennsylvania Governor's School with (decades ago) and to one of my parents' former students (who knew me when I was in kindgergarten! & has been a great family friend over the years); I also wrote quick Facebook messages to someone I went to highschool with and to two other family friends.  People might bewail the brevity encouraged by Facebook--but, truth be told, I think that brief messages are better than the no-messages I'd likely have written without it.

No comments: