9/30: catching up (kind of)

I went to the dock yesterday evening at sunset, and I stayed longer than I had planned because one of our neighbors (whom I really like and whom I hadn't talked to in awhile) was there.  That set me back in my preparations for today's teaching.  I decided to get to school a little earlier than usual to try to make up the lost time.  But in my office this morning I got an unexpected call from a colleague who wanted to talk through an issue, which erased the gain of going in early.  (I didn't at all mind talking with my colleague, but I couldn't believe it happened on today of all days.)  Still, I managed to get all of my prep and grading done (just) before my classes.  I had to finish the last bit of grading in the 10 minutes between two of my classes, but I did it!  More work has already piled up, and tomorrow looks like it will be crazier than today, but having made it through today is a good thing, as well as a reminder that catching up--if only temporarily--can be possible even when it seems unlikely.

No comments: