10/2: unexpected follow-up

Over the summer a student whom I taught last semester needed a last-minute recommendation for an extension of her scholarship.  She asked me to write it, and I was happy to.  I never heard back from her, and I was scared to write to her myself to follow up, in case her petition for the scholarship extension had been turned down:  I didn't want her to feel bad or awkward.  And I hadn't seen her on campus this semester--until this afternoon.  She called out to me, gave me a hug, told me the petition worked, thanked me for the recommendation, chatted, and then wanted to give me another hug before saying goodbye.  I am so glad that her scholarship is intact and that I got to see her.  It was a really good way to end a too-full work-week that had its share of my questioning myself.

No comments: