2/28: the opportunity

...to think about words.  Of course, I think about words a lot, both for work and for pleasure.  But whenever I teach Etymology I get a chance to think about them more and differently, and that's a good and welcome thing.  Right now I get to teach Etymology only once every three or four years, and it may have to be rotated out of my course offerings entirely (alas), so I'm going to try to make sure to enjoy this semester's class as much as possible.

Today I was glad to finish reading my students' book reviews on Knowles' How to Read a Word, discover some new-to-me eggcorns, write an assignment description for a class project on word studies related to our campus, see Ingrid Sundberg's color thesaurus, and come upon the word "listicle" (I have a soft spot for diminutives).

No comments: