11/2: reading revisions

I had planned to devote the day to reading my students' revisions of some of their recent essays, but I found out earlier this week that I'd have to go to a clinic in Little Rock for some more tests today.  Nevertheless, I got up early to try to get some reading/grading done before I went.  That didn't go well; I persevered but was queasy.  And then Little Rock (which can often be a fun place to go) felt cramped and unpleasant.  By the time we got home for dinner I didn't have high hopes for an evening of grading--but oh was I wrong.  Though I didn't finish reading all of the papers, I got two-thirds of them done, and they were a pleasure.  The students' individual voices are coming through so clearly, and it's great to hear them in my mind's ear as I go.  With revisions generally there's the risk that students will treat it as a time to do superficial editing and make quick adjustments, but so far it seems like this group took the revision round seriously, using it as an opportunity to solidify, clarify, and extend their thinking.  And they're doing it with heart.

No comments: