1/12: favorites sacrificed & restored

This evening I had to finalize my Mythology syllabus for this semester. As I worked on it, it become increasingly clear that I probably had to let go of two of my favorite texts (the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite and the Homeric Hymn to Demeter). Trying to include them in the schedule messed up the timing of tests and readings in relation to spring break and otherwise upset the symmetry of the course. I reluctantly but decisively excised them from the syllabus. And then it's almost like the universe rewarded me for my willingness to sacrifice my favorites to the higher interests of pedagogy: I got a brain wave about how to include them in different ways that won't gum up the works after all. So they're back in!

1 comment:

gwenlyn said...

I must confess; not having to wrestle with Homer on one good thing of my day! :)