2/19: the Odyssey again

I'm teaching my Myth class both semesters this academic year, and because my colleague has decided to teach the Iliad in his Greek Civilization course, I've switched to using the Odyssey in the Myth class so that students who take both courses don't repeat texts too much. At first I was sad not to be teaching the Iliad; I really (really) love it, and I wasn't looking forward to picking up the Odyssey (which I hadn't read or taught since 2004). But I've enjoyed reading it through twice in back-to-back semesters, and--especially this second time round--I've been appreciating its complexities a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

visiting my banker and finding great alternatives for more cash flow

Anonymous said...

I discovered The Bourgeois Poet by Karl Shapiro in a free box outside the library. The copy was water stained and slightly yellowed, but the writing as strong as the day it was printed. The first stanza I have to share:
The world is my dream, says the wise child, ever so wise, not stepping on lines. I am the world says the wise-eyed child. I made you, mother. I made you, sky. Take care or I'll put you back in my dream.
It goes on for 120 pages, three poems or one poem in three parts. I'm reading to find out.