2/6: the first of the season

I just saw the first wildflowers of this year's spring! (Although winter's not completely over, winter and spring overlap for weeks and weeks in Arkansas.) I'll have to wait until I go home this evening to look up the name of the wildflower I saw, but it was small, delicate, and very blue.

Added later: I looked up the flower in my Petersen's Guide, and I think it's a speedwell. The picture below doesn't show the exact flowers I saw today (I didn't have my camera handy when I was walking across campus this morning and spotted them), but I took this picture of the same kind of flower a couple of springs ago as I was walking along Tucker Creek and availed myself of the camera feature on my cell-phone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

rising late in the morning, or early in the afternoon and missing those still nite time hrs which extend into 11 a.m. for me

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, green! It is still all white where I am. What a joy it will be when I see little flowers again.

RR said...

The green is still mixed in with a good deal of brown, but today I saw even more wildflowers....