3/22: a fruit and a word

I was excited to find blood oranges in the grocery today. And I was excited to learn a new word by paging through the dictionary: hesperidium. It's a noun denoting a berry which has a tough skin and fruit divided into sections--I don't usually think of oranges, lemons, and the like as "berries," but they are; citruses in general are hesperidia. (I especially like this word because it's derived from Greek mythology and the golden apples supposedly growing in the Garden of the Hesperides.) So now I can unite today's fruit and today's word in a single sentence: The blood orange is a spectacular hesperidium.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the fiery determination of a 3 yr old in full protest, although it can be a pain to deal with for the adult, there is something wonderous about such unadulterated expression.

Anonymous said...

Are you saying that oranges are berries? And that berries are apples?

And would that mean that oranges are apples???

Oh, where are the certainties of my youth???

RR said...

Even the revelation that an orange is a berry is a good thing!