6/25: moon and June cake

In June of 1992 (the first summer Chris and I spent together), we found this poem by Christina Rossetti:

The days are clear,
Day after day,
When April's here
That leads to May,
And June
Must follow soon:
Stay, June, stay!--
If only we could stop the moon
And June!

On one particularly lovely June evening in 1992, we made and decorated a cake in honor of this poem. And every June since we've made a "moon and June" cake at some point during the month. We decided that today is this year's moon and June day, so it's cake for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

Meri said...

... rainbows never fail to amaze me (and my girls as well)... I know this poem! I found it so inspiring back in the mid-90's (while healing my broken-heart)that I wrote my (depressing, unfortunately) version of the poem (in English)...

RR said...

Hello, Meri! I'm glad you & your girls had some rainbows. And what lovely coincidence that you know the Rossetti poem. I think there is something melancholy, even heart-breaking, about it, but something (strangely) sweet, too.