3/24: better book

When we lived in upstate NY we loved using the Peterson field guide to identify wildflowers, but it's not as comprehensive a resource for Arkansas, so we've been using a book on Arkansas wildflowers specifically since we moved here. The downside of the book is that it's organized by scientific family rather than by color--and if I knew enough to know the scientific families of wildflowers, I probably wouldn't need a guide book. I usually have to page through the whole book when I want to find something, which can be a little frustrating. Today in the store I saw a new Arkansas wildflower book which is organized by color, and we purchased it right away--hurray!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean! For me it's local wildflowers and also local birds and local trees - I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to naming things. Just today, in fact, I was googling the birds at my window feeder. I knew two of them but not the third. I mean, it was probably a sparrow or something that EVERYONE knows, but I really wasn't sure. I'm always looking for the perfect book - and when I take my daughter on camping trips I look for the guides that are specifically about that county - or even that park - so as to limit the options and bring it to my lowly level!

RR said...

I'm glad it's not just me! I am really pleased about this new book--I feel like it'll work with me, while the other one felt like it was working against me (or I was working against it).