3/3: a bat!

I love it when I see a bat, but I don't get to spot one that often. To increase our bat-sighting possibilities, we put up a bat house at home; we seem to live in an ideal bat locale, but the bats must know something we don't because they haven't flocked to our bat house as we had hoped.

This evening as we were walking across campus after dinner, Chris mentioned that he saw a bat yesterday while he was driving home. It made me smile just to think of seeing a bat. Then I smiled even more when, a few minutes later, after Chris and I parted company, I saw a bat of my own, flying through the warm springtime twilight.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

I've never seen a bat in my life!

RR said...

Maybe you've seen one without realizing it was a bat? Sometimes I see a high-flying bird at twilight & then realize it was a bat not a bird....

Barbara said...

Really? I'm gonna have to Google this one!

RR said...

I used to call bats "night birds" in fact--I thought they were just a kind of bird you see at night. (And this was not when I was a tiny child!) Then someone pointed out that birds don't quite fly in that distinctive way. Sometimes I'll still catch myself calling bats night birds (I hope they don't mind).