2/11: back to the book review

I started reading the New York Times Book Review in the early 1980s: my parents would get the New York Times and the Washington Post on Sundays, and for an hour or so before brunch the family would sit in the living room and browse the pages. When we were young, we children read the comics; as we got older, each of us migrated to other parts of the paper, and the book review was mine. In college, I was lucky that my college bookstore had free copies of the book review for people who wanted them. During graduate school my parents gave me a subscription to the book review as an annual present, and now I keep the subscription going myself. The book review has stayed my companion for more than 30 years--and in those 30 years many other things have come and gone, so I have special affection for this faithful periodical and its place in my life.

Today Chris had to be at school for a conference, so I was solo at home for lunch and dinner. But not really solo: I read one book review during lunch and another during dinner.

No comments: