1/1: reading in the new year

Chris and I don't stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve anymore.  When he went to sleep last night, I decided to start a new book--Summer and Bird by Katherine Catmull--before turning in.  I read and read and read--and I realized that I was going to be reading while the year turned.  That's a happy thing, perhaps the start of my own New Year's Eve tradition?  (And I am wide-eye-loving Summer and Bird!)

In an additional happiness, Chris woke up just 2 minutes before midnight so we were awake and together for the first moments of the new year after all.

2 comments:

Ludger said...

A n o t h e r g o o d b a l a n c e
Dear Rebecca,
Your account seems to me a fine example of how, according to my experience (having been married for more than 30 years), things should work out in a relationship: Having a good balance between both doing things on their own and on the other hand doing things together, thus sharing precious moments. The way, your transition into the New Year came about, seems to me a good omen!
Good wishes to you both for the New Year!
Ludger

RR said...

Thanks, Ludger! It seemed like a good omen for the new year to me, too. (In a way, it couldn't have been better if it had been planned, but it was all the better for not having been planned.)