1/8: another three

1.  I did my Trollope writing in the morning, while drinking my coffee.  (I did the same thing yesterday.)  It is great to be with Trollope's words and my own while I'm fresh.  It's not a strategy that will be able to continue once classes begin again next week, but I'm going to enjoy a few more days of morning writing.  Today I appreciated the special pleasure of looking at how Trollope's novels--paragraphs, sentences, phrases--tick in a fine-grained way.  Usually when I read novels I let myself get swept along (which is part of the fun), but I'm enjoying having to slow down and explain in concrete ways what I think Trollope is doing with his prose.  It's something I do all the time with Latin and Greek texts; it's a hoot to do it with something written in my native tongue.

2.  We hung our banner from BetterWall today.  It looks great, like it truly belongs.  It's six feet high and depicts a landscape, so it's almost as if we have a new window.  We've already enjoyed having it as part of our view indoors.

3.  Emma the Cat discovered the tape-measure as we were hanging the banner, and then he decided that he wanted to combine playing in a favorite box of his and playing with the tape-measure.  He led me over to the box and gave me clear signals about the game he wanted to construct for himself and what my role in it should be.

2 comments:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Would love to see the banner. Sounds wonderful.

Love Emma's game and her clear directions. It's fascinating how they can communicate like that. :)

RR said...

Hi, Sandy--It's hard to get a good photo of it as it hangs in our house, but here's the image from the BetterWall site:

http://www.betterwall.com/pics/banners/bbpic-grandma-moses-the-old-oaken-bucket.jpg

Very American pastoral.