7/15: finishing

...MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood.  I loved Oryx and Crake, the first novel in the trilogy which MaddAddam concludes, and though I was disappointed that it wasn't a stand-alone novel (I think the ending of Oryx and Crake would have been sublime if it had been allowed to stand as the ending of the story), I wanted to see the tale through.  But--truth be told--I did not love MaddAddam; I'm pretty sure I didn't even like it.  And since my not warming to it was making me not want to read, I decided to power through and finish the second half of the novel in one sitting.  Now it's time to read something else, and that's a good thing.

(Another truth be told:  I really do admire Margaret Atwood, so I feel bad admitting that I was so let down by MaddAddam.  I'm a fan not only of Oryx and Crake but also of The Handmaid's Tale and The Edible Woman.)

No comments: