9/7: fairy tale craziness

In the wee hours of the morning I couldn't sleep, so (among other things) I read the first story in the complete Brothers Grimm, which is the story of the Princess and the Frog. And, wow, did it hold some surprises and delights for me.

So here's one delight: The tale begins, "In olden times when wishing still helped one...." Isn't that a great phrase--melancholy and nostalgic, but great?

And one surprise: The frog does not transform back into a prince because the princess kisses him but rather because she throws him against a wall!!

Though it's obviously not a good thing to be thrown against a wall, here's a hurrah for unexpected twists and turns in traditional tales!

4 comments:

Nads said...

Dear one-good-thing-bogger!

Today I received a postcard from you through postcrossing; so nice!

I wish you at least one-good-thing every day!

Nads from Switzerland

RR said...

Thank you, Nads--I hope you've had a great day yourself!

Barbara said...

We saw JULIE AND JULIA today, which I loved! It's as much about blogging as it is about cooking.

RR said...

I really enjoyed JULIE AND JULIA, too--especially the Julia parts!